Why Magnetic Separation and Metal Detection is Vital for HACCP & Supplier Audits
One of the greatest challenges to processing industries is ensuring maximum integrity of the finished product. Failure to do so could have disastrous consequences, such as:
- Injury or harm to the consumer
- Expensive product recalls or scrappage or penalty clauses
- Damage to the brand and corporate reputation
- Production stoppages or process downtime
- Damage to process equipment
Hazard & Critical Control Points (HACCP)
HACCP analysis is an internationally recognised system for identifying potential risks and implementing preventative measures to eliminate or minimise hazards. This involves:
- Conducting hazard analysis
- Identifying critical control points
- Establishing critical limits
- Establishing monitoring processes
- Establishing corrective actions
- Maintaining maintenance and incident records
Read our guide to magnetic separators
Product Safety Management & Supplier Audits
It is the responsibility of processors to ensure that the end product; be it food, pharmaceutical, chemical or any other produce, is safe and of good quality. Many retailers now audit their suppliers' safety management systems in line with EU Regulation 852/2005 and ISO 22000. The Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) has also specified a number of food safety management systems including SQF, FSA, BRC, FDA, FSSC 22000.
Process Contamination Risks
Process contamination risks come in many forms. The main groups include biological hazards (such as bacteria or viruses), chemical hazards (such as pesticides, additives and allergens) and physical hazards (such as metal, glass and plastics).
HACCP and Metal Contamination
Metal is a common type of contamination in processing industries such as food, pharmaceutical and chemical. It can enter the process through incoming ingredients, equipment wear, or even human error. Typical metal contamination can include screws, bolts, broken machine parts, screen wire, metal tags or fine particle surface wear. Effective separation systems are, therefore, a vital part of HACCP plans, providing protection for consumers, process equipment, and brand or retailer reputation.
HACCP and Separation and Detection
A robust HACCP system with high quality metal separation and detection systems gives many advantages:
- Allows monitoring of incoming goods from suppliers
- Prevents metal contamination from entering the process
- Gives and early indication of machine wear or failure
- Having control points reduces unplanned maintenance and disruption
Explore more related topics to Magnetic Separation
- A Guide to Magnetic Separation in the Food Industry (Free On-Demand Webinar)
- Guide to Selecting the Right Magnetic Separator
- Magnetic Separators in the Sugar Industry
- Magnetic Separators in Chemical Processing
- Magnetic Separators in Virgin & Recycled Plastic Industry
"We were delighted with the service provided by Eclipse Magnetics; from the initial site survey through to delivery."
"I cannot begin to tell you how much it has helped our operation, the magnetic filtration unit has been a real problem solver it has surpassed all our expectations. Its cured a 30 year plague!"
"This technology is economical, reliable and efficient. I believe that magnetic filtration technology is the future."
"Magnetic filtration has dramatically cleaned up our fluids and improved the surface finish we can offer. It extracts around 50Kg per day of ferrous waste."
"We chose Eclipse Magnetics to supply our housed grid because they are a respected and well-established brand. They offered us a very competitive price, and the process of ordering and installation was straightforward and reliable."
“We are delighted with the Automag installation; it’s solved all the problems we were having previously with downtime and maintenance costs. The filter means that we are able to use recycled water, which is saving us £1000 per week!”
"Here at Qualflow, we base our business on a philosophy of make the product simple to use, reliable and cost-effective. Eclipse Magnetics’ neodymium magnets offer the strongest magnetic performance, and are nickel plated, making them a cost effective.."
"The Ultralift Plus magnetic lifter from Eclipse Magnetics is the perfect solution for the pick-up and transportation of the ultrasonic calibration blocks in our facility"
"The result is an aesthetically pleasing system, which is effective in trapping metal contaminants and is easy to clean..."